We started developing Currensea because it was clear that accessing and spending travel money was inconvenient, confusing and expensive. We were convinced we could bring a convenient, simple and cost-effective solution to our customers.
Essentially, convenient products and services save time, effort and energy. They decrease frustration and increase ease and accessibility. Simple products are easy to understand and accept, and they don’t require any unnecessary actions or decision points. They also have a clear focus.
Currensea solves one clear problem: inconvenient, expensive, confusing travel money. We’re not trying to be a bank, credit card or savings facility. We are laser-focused on travel currency.
What have we learnt from others?
We looked at how other popular products from different sectors solved a hassle for many customers, one way or another.
People love Amazon because they have to visit only one website to buy almost anything – from groceries to books, clothes and music – all with only one click. Amazon purchases are so convenient and trusted that people sometimes pay a premium on their site. Customers enjoy personalised recommendations and product comparisons, plus a record of all their purchases and payments in one place. No wonder Amazon is starting to put the high street out of business.
Minimising entry of personal information
PayPal and Stripe are great solutions for those who wish to pay for goods and services online with only one click, without having to enter their private details into every site they purchase from. Customers get a familiar experience, as well as convenience and security when making online payments. They can also log into their online accounts and see all their debits and credits within their account.
The fastest and best service is only one tap away
Uber is often cited as one of the most convenient apps and has changed the ride-hailing landscape for good. Once you’ve stored your details in the app, with one tap, you get access to the nearest driver and taken to your destination by the fastest route, without having to find the right cash or handing over your payment card. All your rides and payments are stored in the app if you need to access these in future.
Foreign exchange has remained inconvenient. Until now.
Foreign exchange has stayed stuck in the past, requiring holidaymakers to go through the hassle of queuing for currency, carrying cash, opening new accounts with a different bank, or taking out a travel money card which needs to be topped up. The latter is not always accessible – for example if you don’t have WiFi available and you need to top up your card. On top of that, you still need to figure out the complicated fees and charges because the amounts which appear on your statements do not reflect what you think you paid.
The future of travel money
What makes Currensea such a convenient travel money product?
- You don’t have to research different travel money options or open a new bank account. Currensea links to an existing bank account, and you simply spend abroad with your Currensea card like you’d spend with your regular debit card.
- Unlike spending abroad with your regular debit card, our rates and fee structure are super simple, so you’ll know exactly what you’re paying. You can also save, on average, 85% compared to the high street banks.
- You don’t have to top-up, pre-pay or transfer money. Currensea removes all this hassle because it links directly to your bank account.
- We support all currencies and our card can be used anywhere in the world where Mastercard is accepted. So you only need one travel money solution for all your travels.
- You can track all your purchases and cash withdrawals abroad in one place, and we also detail what you have saved compared to other options.
If you’d like to experience the same convenience in travel currency that you expect from apps and websites that you use for your other needs, you’re in the right place.